Sunday, January 10, 2010

Auditions and Gnu Toyz

So yesterday was my audition for the South Carolina region band. I didn't do so bad. My etude was alright (the one in the last blog). My rudiments were ok, just those were the first thing I played, so I was still kinda shakin'. I got all the terms right. But the sightreading, sounded like puke. I'll find out if I made callbacks tomorrow morning... so... don't want to put any words in my mouth till then.

The basement is becoming the messiest it has ever been... so many instruments... Sorry mom and dad...


Yes, there's a glockenspiel with a few microphones hovering over it...

Brady and I (G N 8) will have some things for you listeners in the future. He recently traded a broken first act drum set for a working bass guitar. Yay for us.

I recently made a purchase on eBay. Probably the best online purchase I've made. I present, straight from 1981: The Suzuki Omnichord OM-27.


Its mega cool. And here's a video I did to prove it:

My new Omnichord OM-27 from Garrett Burke on Vimeo.

So how about that Vampire Weekend? I feel like they've been the biggest winners of 2010 so far, just because they're able to surprise everyone with music no one expected. You should assume that, myself being the music snob that I am, I should hate Vampire Weekend, but I really can't get enough of Cousins (though that and Horchata are the only songs I've hear off their new record). I say keep it up, Vampire Weekend, even if they are still doing pointless shows like MTV unplugged, I can't really say anything bad about them when they write good music.

I listened to Toro Y Moi's "Causers of This" 3 times yesterday. A very good record. Besides that I feel like I'm very behind right now. I haven't done any downloading in forever, because my hard drive is full and I haven't really gotten the time to figure out my new external (its 1.5 TB HOLY SHIT).

Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. nice, that is a cool little keyboard dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think i might ask you to do the theme song for my new sitcom with that bitchin omnichord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That thing is awesome. Write a song for me... or Babybaddytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a nerd, but I'm still amazed at the 1.5TB external.

    ReplyDelete